Friday, August 15, 2008

I have a great Vet... so now I need a new Farrier

Having a horse is in many ways like having children. They are dependant on you in many ways. You need to dedicate a great deal of time and resources to keep them healthy, sound and happy. Riding and caring for your horse on a daily basis along with proper preventative care are a must.

Equestrians are very particular about who and how their horses are handled. Once we find a good veterinarian and farrier we will stick with them through appointment no-shows, price hikes, you name it.

For me a good veterinarian has a good well rounded background and many years of experience. Characteristics I look for are: Good listening skills, open clear communication a general sense of concern for the animals well being. Most vets charge the same and after a couple of bad experiences, wheres the value in risking working with someone with less experience.

I really like farriers who operate alone or in a partnership and take their time with my horses. I really avoid anyone with 'apprentices', which is just a nice name for hiring a cheap long term laborer to do the actual work. A good farrier returns phone calls promptly (unless on vacation), doesn't jack up prices without warning, doesn't re-set old shoes with out telling you and may offer a slight discount for the times that you agree to a reset. Most importantly- a good farrier doesn't allow anyone else to handle or shoe my horse without notifying me first.

So where am I now? I have a great vet and a great farrier. Unfortunately the farrier is retiring in March so I'm searching for a good replacement. I'm not sure how long the process will take, but fortunately I can ask around and search on bay area equestrian network.

No comments: